Smart Pens ROCK!!!

I love my smart pen.  It is a pen that records what you say as you are writing.  Here is a link so you can see one of my pen casts.

And here is a link to the livescribe website that sells smart pens.

One of the reasons I love the smart pen is how affordable it is.  Perhaps your school district can't afford iPad, or laptops, or whatever.  But I bet they could swing for a smart pen.

Currently I use the pen casts for my flashback days, which I wrote briefly about in this post.  Those prescribed set of problems that students need to do in order reassess are sometimes preceded by a pen cast that reteaches the outcomes.  It also works out well for absent students.

Another way I have used the pen casts, is to create a lesson for when I am out of the classroom.  The substitute instructs the students to get a laptop and get busy.
Note - Do yourself a favor and buy a classroom set of earbuds.  I found some for a $1 each at my local dollar store.

This year I am going to have the students create pen casts.  One student at a time will be the note-taker of the day and will be required to take complete, accurate, and neat notes during class.  That evening he/she will create a pen cast from those notes.  I will upload the pen cast to my class website.

If you go to the livescribe website, there is a tab for education which may have more ideas for using the smart pen in the classroom.  Happy Pencasting!!


Comments

  1. I love this idea and would love to do it. Teaching middle school most of my notes are in the form of foldables. I would love to be able to use this for students to see and listen to the notes but I would hate to give up my interactive notebook foldables. Hopefully they will solve that issue eventually.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment